Sunday, November 29, 2020

DO NOT PITCH YOUR MUSIC WITHOUT THIS!

 As a music business veteran, I implore you to have this document ready when pitching your music!  Lets face it, the competition is so tough that you have to be creative in getting seen and heard.  The littlest thing can make or break a sync or record deal. Why not give yourself an edge by simply preparing your paperwork in advance?  I personally get hundreds of tracks submitted weekly and nothing moves a track to the top of  my pile then a track with this document in its correct format.  What is it you ask?  It's a properly formatted Lyric Sheet.  Pay attention to the words "properly formatted".  This means indents in the right places so we know where we are at in a song, publishing information, Title Track, Author(s) and contact information.  When it comes to sync licensing this is a must for me 99% of the time.  I can tell a lot about a song looking at the Lyric sheet before I even hear the track!  Is it too busy? word-stuffing issues?  A repeating hook? etc.  In the world of film, music is usually the last to be addressed in post production and the deadline is yesterday!  So this helps the buyer, in a search for mood,  story line,  clearance,  and song structure. These are all vitals of a song that help me in my decision making process.  Again, keep "properly formatted" as a focus for creating the document.  Great lyrics are worthless to me if I cant see your publishing name(s), or contact information.  I've dismissed lots of great music simply because others had the info I needed all in front of me.  I could go into specifics, like noting Public Domain or Explicit lyric notice, but first things first.  You can thank me with a subscription to my blog!  


Proper Layout 


No comments:

Post a Comment

DO NOT PITCH YOUR MUSIC WITHOUT THIS!

  As a music business veteran, I implore you to have this document ready when pitching your music!  Lets face it, the competition is so toug...