Sunday, November 8, 2020

Does your Band Manager Jump over Walls to support you?


So I manage a few artists and each day is different.   I do a lot of what the formal description says: 

Band Managers assist bands in making sound business and creative decisions. They help bands to secure record deals, ensure that band members attend band practice sessions, and negotiate contracts on behalf of bands.

But the truth of it is ya gotta love the music and have confidence that your a good match.  Sometimes I'm asked to manage a band because of my experience and knowledge which is flattering especially when I love the music,  but that is never enough for me.  I need someone with music business experience so I don't have to educate and hold hands every step of the way.  It should be a partnership with defined roles while remaining flexible.  In a given week I do the traditional tasks of reading contracts, scheduling, press & media but with that comes part therapist, friend and group mediator.  When someone seeks me out for management the first question I ask is how much income did you generate in the last 12- months with your music. You see managers get paid a percentage of your music income so  15 percent of Zero  = Zero, so they can't afford me.  I say to them "consider consulting with me to guide you on your music path with out managing you because for me your  not there yet and with a consult I dedicate time to tell you why."  I have had a band that I groomed for six months and touring with a big act only to have them party to hard, get in a fight, and get thrown in Jail.  Yuck.  I learned my lesson well.  I have however been redeemed by signing Water Tower Band.  Why you ask? Well the Water Tower band (in various stages) has been around for 15 years and came with a built in fan-base  and experience. I could work with unsigned or new acts, but I also run a music library and work on concerts so time is valuable.  Water Tower band is solely owned by front-man Kenny Feinstein, which means I only have to work with one person and not three or four personalities.  Kenny, has been in a recovery  program for a few years.  He also  has a strict sobriety policy. In fact his band mates are almost always in a some form or another of recovery.  So my  whole fear of "bands in jail" trauma is no longer a deterrent for me to take them on as a manager. There have been some difficulties where I have to go head-to-head with band-mates but then again they are a work for hire so they get paid even when Kenny and I don't.  All in all we share the same vision for the band and that what drives me to always go the extra mile.  It was just two weeks ago that the band had to replace some concert footage  with a 48 hour deadline.  To get it done I got up at 6am, drove to the LA Riverbed jump over a 6ft concrete wall and assisted in shooting new improved content (2nd camera angle).  Was it worth it?  Absolutely! It's important that they know I'm "All In". link:  Water Tower band (in the LA Riverbed)




No comments:

Post a Comment

DO NOT PITCH YOUR MUSIC WITHOUT THIS!

  As a music business veteran, I implore you to have this document ready when pitching your music!  Lets face it, the competition is so toug...